SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Sensory seeker adivce
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 4 year old is sensory seeking and most likely an Asperger (social approaching end).

She constantly slams herself into the furniture & people. She's the size of a 7 year old and just began Pre-K. We've begun to have issues at school & her teacher is allowing her to use chewelry...

Any suggestions on how to save my furniture? Is there an alternative I can offer her?
My best recommendation is to try the Feingold Diet (Feingold.org). It saved our sanity.
I'd look into heavy work, and deep pressure.

Does she have chores around the house? Does she do better after doing something like pulling a heavy wheelbarrow, or carrying heavy objects? If you make those types of things her chore, instead of things that aren't that, then she'd likely do better.

Those types of things give her the types of input that her body is seeking.

Similarly, the deep pressure idea is does she do better after a strong hug? Being squished?

Weighted blankets, weighted lap pads, weighted vests, weighted stuffed animals to hold and put on their lap are all things. Compression shirts are a thing. These all give this type of input, to make it not be needed to get some other way.

Activities can be done to get this type of input without running into furniture. What are games that will compress joints, because that will probably help? Jumping is an activity that does that, so take advantage of that. What are other ones? (I don't have all the answers off the top of my head, because I've not looked into games for it). I've heard of ideas with making a game out of rolling people up in rugs being a thing to do but not the details of it.

Provide the input people need, and they'll try to get it in inappropriate ways less. Smile But that's my first ideas.