SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Issues with fondling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son is 7 and in 1st grade and a sensory seeker. We have always had an issue with him fondling himself, especially when he is anxious or excited (and at school, that is a LOT).

His teacher is a wonderful woman, but a bit of a prude and totally thrown by this behavior. Typically, we just move his hand away, give him something to hold to feed the sensory need, and quietly remind him that he should not touch in public.

He is also ADHD, so on occasion, giving him something to hold ends up being less of a deterrent and more of a distraction for the both him and the other students.

Any creative ideas out there to provide the necessary sensory input? He wears a weighted vest for 20 minutes every few hours, but that only helps slightly.

I am also working on getting the teacher to not be so embarrassed by this behavior by explaining the SPD link.
I would recommend you put him on the Feingold Diet (Feingold.org). In addition, we recently discovered an interesting book with info about treating ADHD. I haven't finished it yet, but I find the premise promising. Healing ADD by Daniel G. Amen, MD.
Does he have fidget toys? That might help, to have a fidget toy that matches his needs.