SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Doctor Misdiagnosing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone

I have been dealing with stress/anxiety triggered SPD since this past summer. My doc keeps wanting to diagnose it as Adult ADHD, just because I checked off several grey areas on a checklist he gave me. I do not have attention problems. I have sensory problems.

It would help if someone could help me figure out if it is indeed SPD that I have. Most of my issues seem to be auditory and visual, with some touch and taste issues as well.

I often find that:

- Music while alone is too over-stimulating
- I can't hear the person next to me that is talking to me in a noisy room
- Any audio in the background is impossibly distracting if I'm trying to focus
- I have issues with processing speed. If someone is verbally giving me instructions, I'll remember point A and B, but will "skip over" or "miss" point C and D.
- I get frustrated easily when there is too much sensory input.
- I am very sensitive emotionally. I have a "gifted" sense of intuition or empathic skill.
- I avoid crowds and feel much better when there are less people around
- I cannot eat spicy foods at all
- I get cold very easily, when others are warm
- When I am in a space, I automatically scan every inch of my environment in minute detail. (i.e. put me in a random mall for 20 minutes, and I could tell you location of every pay phone, directory, sign colour, store location, washroom, etc.)
- I find it every difficult to live with other people as everyday problems seem overwhelming, emotionally.

Who would diagnose something like SPD?
Probably SPD. Go to an OT to get evaluated or a psych who specializes in ADHD. I had to see a neurologists to rule out a whole bunch of stuff. My SPD causes all kinds of attention problems, but I do not have ADHD.