SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello from Europe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was very pleased to find this forum.

I've always thought my son, now nearly 7, had some funny little ways going on, but couldn't put my finger on anything - there were always just a let of funny things: reacting with extreme fear (or, less often, hilarity) to sounds that nobody else has even noticed; asking for a tiny part of a song or story to be repeated over and over again; being able to identify different buses purely from the sound of their engines; making funny sounds that he can hear reverberating in his head; apparently not seeing any differences between colours; confusing black and white; looking at things very close up; not understanding limits, sometimes to the point of danger; always putting things to his mouth or cheek. Other things too.

He never engaged properly in pre-school, had trouble learning to read, lots of trouble concentrating, and finally now, in 2nd Grade, seems to be so stressed out that he just can't participate in the class.

Hadn't heard of sensory processing disorder until 2 weeks ago, but it really does seem to fit so well with my son's experiences. If I can afford it, an OT here is going to assess him next week, and then work with him. To be honest it seems likely that he might also be diagnosed with ADHD and Impulsivity. I am in Belgium, making things more complicated as school is in French.

What a long post I've written. Sorry.