SPD Support Forum

Full Version: 'Cool' idea for hot weather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know many of you are in the U.S and U.K so will be heading into winter, but this might be a good idea heading into next summer (also for any fellow Aussies / countries whose summer it is now).

It was really hot here again today - I don't drive, and I have massive trouble with regulating my body temperature, i'm not sure if this is just a 'me' thing, or an SPD thing.
Anyways - I bought a neat product from the chemist today. It's a neck tie/ bandanna for to put around your neck - but it has a special foam/spongy thing in the back of it. You need to soak it in water for 3 - 4 minutes, give it a bit of a squeeze after that (other wise you will be soaking! just enough so that it is slightly damp) and then just tie it around your neck. Apparently your neck, wrists, soles of feet and top of your head are the major areas that when cold as applied help cool down the body really quickly Big Grin

I'm not sure what this thing would be called overseas, but might be worth checking a camping/hiking/outdoors store, if your local chemist doesn't stock them. The brand I got was called 'Koolit'.

I've yet to try it outside for long amounts of time, as I just got it today, but will let you all know if it helps Smile only thing I would say is if you are wearing it for hours on end you might need a break - the material is bearable (when wet), but it did cause back of my neck to become a bit irritated (not from the bandana but from having material on my neck for hours!)

So, here is me wearing mine (as you can see it just looks like an accessory... but might try to make it look a little less like im in scouts Tongue)

[Image: 2013-12-20162404_zpsc5cc84a6.jpg]

here it is off: you can see it has some padding at the back that soaks up the water.

[Image: 2013-12-20162007_zpsfff5b81b.jpg]

Also just wanted to say i'm not trying to plug a product ! I just thought if anyone else does have temperature regulation issues - this might be a huge help Smile
I dont like hot weather at all! My mom always wanted me to play in the sunshine and I just didnt like it. So I'd stay in the shade. But unfortunately I dont think anything around my neck would work for me. I cant stand turtlenecks or anything like that. Hope your idea works for other people though! Smile Thanks for sharing!
How cool! Where did you get that? I want one! I bet it would work on my hot flashes as well! I usually would put a cold compress on the back of my neck but it is not practical for outdoors.
Looks good, sadly I think I would look overally flamboyant wearing that. I guess it's more of a girl thing.

I do have temperature regulation issues. I absolutely hate the hot weather. I got a wheat bag from the chemist that I can put in the freezer overnight and it stays cool for a couple of hours. I can put it on the back of my neck and my OT suggested to use it to help me keep grounded from my SPD symptoms.