SPD Support Forum

Full Version: For those who sleep with weighted blankets (or parents); what happens if you don't?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious and trying to see if there are patterns, as well as compare details about this.

What happens if you don't sleep with your weighted blanket?

For a parent, what do you see in terms of differences?

For an individual what's different from your point of view?
It is ironic that I came here to ask about weighted blankets.

I don't use weighted blankets but have used very heavy quilts in the past few weeks. I am thinking now about getting weighted blankets with hope that they will not be as hot but do not know what they are like. I suppose they have the same affect.

For me I am just realizing that they can help me. A counselor several years ago told me to try but I did not follow through. I was very claustrophobic before but now I feel better in smaller places. I would not have ever intentionally put anything that made me feel held down.

I have slept for many days with my quilts and now days without. With the blanket the only thing I noticed was more sensitivity to temperature but all other senses calmed down. My brain did not seems as full of 'noise' - less trapped. I also am not visibly shaking and my skin isn't as sensitive to touch. Without I notice I wake up more agitated, anxiety high, less ability to focus and more "moody". It is almost like the blanket gives my body a place to start at a normal place instead of the high sensory overload.

Did you make your own weighted blanket or buy one? I have only seen them for children. I will be talking to my OT about this too.
I dont use a real weighted blanket but I do use heavier blankets, I cannot sleep with sheets or nothing on (unless Im totally exhausted). I must be covered neck to toe and even tucked under my feet. My favorite thing to sleep under is the top cover (ya know, the nice one that you shouldnt 'use') or fleecey like blankets that are super soft and cuddly. But plain light blankets, no thank you. Even if it's summer, a sheet is just so not enough to make me feel secure. You know how most kids during a thunderstorm pull the covers up right to their face? Thats what I do!
(12-28-2013, 10:19 PM)written.lady Wrote: [ -> ]Did you make your own weighted blanket or buy one? I have only seen them for children. I will be talking to my OT about this too.

I made mine, but I know of places you can buy them at for adults and might buy another one or two. (Logistics say this makes sense in my case)

Thanks for the information! That's exactly the sort I've been looking for!

Personally if I don't have my blanket I don't sleep. And a lot of bad things happen (pain, emotional, sensory, everything bad)
When I was younger I slept with a weighted blanket that my mom made out of rice and pouches. It was great. Today, I sleep with a really heavy quilt, no matter how hot or cold it is. I find that if I do not sleep with it, I can fall asleep but I cannot stay asleep and constantly wake up at night.

If you are looking for an adult size weighted blanket, a blanket that allows you to put other blankets in side of it works well because you can use a lot and then compact them. (sorry if that didnt make sense... but it works, trust me)