SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Issues with General Eye-Contact
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, as I have been reading other peoples threads, it has me wondering, we all seem to have a myriad of different issues in terms of sensory perception and each is affected in different ways and by their environments. In my opinion, this makes it hard to give advice that might help someone else with the same issue.

But, I wanted to know if any one else experiences issues with eye contact. And I mean in general, I have trouble with eye contact with people I know, close friends, random people, cashiers, interviews, coaches, significant others... aka everyone. Maybe it's just me, but it makes me SUPER uncomfortable and really nervous (like more than it should). I have tried almost every trick in the book and I still cant seem to get it under control. Any advice?
Look at their forehead, look over their shoulders, or look over the top of their head.
Yes I struggle with this myself.
I learned how to fake eye contact years ago and it made my life SO much easier! you can look at someone without really looking at their eyes.
-BLB
(11-28-2015, 03:23 PM)BLB Wrote: [ -> ]I learned how to fake eye contact years ago and it made my life SO much easier! you can look at someone without really looking at their eyes.
-BLB

Yes, I'm 35 and it angers me something as stupid as looking at someones eyeballs while they are looking at you , terrifies me so much that either my physical body will not react correctly to what my brain is telling it to do, if I do accidentally make eye contact, it can result in a full on panic attck. Because I know in my heart that this should not be hard in theory. But in the end, it's not all the ways this "disorder" manifests in me that I struggle with, but the realization that I technically should have no problem with these things
I have some difficulty with eye contact too. It's either if I'm overwelmed, especially visually, anxious, or am having trouble understanding someone's words or body language. If I'm having trouble understanding words or body language, looking at the person makes it harder. And then there are some random times when eye contact is just not comfortable. I'm autistic in addition to having SPD, so for me the autism is the cause of the difficulty with the eye contact.