SPD Support Forum

Full Version: The Revelation in knowing my SPD is real!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Y'all:
I received your information from an SPD forum. I am in amazement of the revelation I've come to, in finding out that I have this disorder. I am reaching out to you to see what resources are available to people that suffer from this. I live in South Carolina and there doesn't seem to be a support group or anyone who is dealing with this disorder that I know of.......

I don't know whether to go see a doctor, check into a hospital or what to do? I understand there is some sort of therapy that will assist in rewiring the brain? First so long I have been challenged by the majority of everything I have found on the checklist!!!! I 'm a guy that feels misunderstood and I feel like my life has been such a struggle! I have a hard time with directions, understanding people's directions (work related confusion) people trying to understand me when I don't even remember what I wanted to say, and the list just goes on!

Is there any medication that seems to help? What type of rewiring does an individual have to do to start over again? Sorry for bombarding y'all with all these questions. I feel both exhilarated and sad at the same time because all this time that has been wasted!!! Where I could have been saving myself from feeling so frustrated and bad about myself!!! Getting the right kind of help now is my goal so I don't feel so out of place all the time!!!!

How are y'all dealing with this and what kind of help has worked for each of [/font]you? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Any additional resources or assistance you may be able to provide, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again and enjoy your evening.

Regards,
Bill
No medication, occupational therapists are the doctors you want to see. There is therapy that helps though, both with helping you find coping mechanisms, and with helping retrain your body to function in a way that works better for you. Occupational therapists do both of those.

We can help you too though, on this journey. Figuring out what you should do, how you should cope. Figuring out coping mechanisms is really going to be part of it, because part of it is just going to be coping. I wear blue glasses around for example (the lenses are blue). They make it easier for me to process things visually and get less visual overload.

So, feel free to ask a lot of questions. We'll help you out. And, I definitely recommend looking for an occupational therapist to help out with this.