SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Can an old man learn new tricks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Confused Hi, I am just now learning that I may have had this disorder all my life. Bless my wife for staying with me through all of this. 30 years this month.

I would really like to know if it is not too late to learn new behaviors, because I would really like to stop taking all this medicine which really doesn't make me feel any better.

Thanks
I feel it's never too late to learn new behaviors. Most behaviorists would say it takes 12 weeks to learn a new habit. Although the book was designed for children, I believe you would benefit from completing the program set out in the ebook: Ten Gems for the Brain. If you're ready and willing to try something to help with your symptoms, I believe that would help as well as adding probiotics and digestive enzymes to your diet. I'm pulling for you!!
Yes! No matter how old you are you can do things to help your sensory system. Develop a sensory diet. Figure out what is going on with you sensory-wise and how to adapt. It's entirely doable.

The nervous system can be rewired more when younger, but behaviors can be learned no matter how old you are, and behaviors are a large part of managing the disorder.