SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Which school for my kinder?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A little background. My son was diagnosed with SPD when he was 4 turning 5. We opted to do a transitional kinder instead of regular so he had the opportunity to work on his transitions and noise tolerance. He went through a O.T. as well as integrated listening therapy and has been doing quite amazing. He only has 18 kids in his class and his teacher has been quite supportive. She is also very organized and the classroom is pretty quiet.

I am trying to figure out the best place for him next year. The kinders at his school are quite full 25-28 children in a class and the teachers are a little more free spirited than his teacher this year. He already has friends at this school. The day is from 8:15 -2:00 5 days a week. He has an opportunity to go to school with his brother at a charter. It is a much smaller class size 12 kids, but is a hybrid school. Mondays, Tuesdays at school from 9-12:30. Wednesdays is an enrichment 9:00-2:00 with a different teacher focusing on a specific subjects(math, music,art) Thursdays normal school day but longer 9:00-2:00 and Fridays are a home school day. I am trying to figure out if it is more beneficial for children with SPD to have a consistent schedule even though the day is longer and more children in their class or smaller class size, but inconsistent schedule. He is open to either because his brother is at 1 school and his friends are at the other.

Thank you in advance for any insight, experience you can share.