SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi Friends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm Amanda, I'm 41 and I live in Scotland. I have an 8yr old daughter, with a diagnosis of Aspergers.

When I first came across Aspergers, I realised that not only did it sound about right for my daughter, but for me too, especially once I realised that all the sensory and social issues could be accounted for by that. A year and a half later, she got her diagnosis. Then it was my turn. I've been living with severe social anxiety for most of my life. I eventually spoke to my GP and was referred for counselling. My counsellor referred me for autism assessment, which was yesterday. The verdict is that I don't have autism, but she's diagnosed me with generalised anxiety disorder. I asked about my sensory issues and was told that they are just a 'red herring'.

So, I'm back to wondering about why I'm so anxious. It really is mostly social anxiety, so I am debating about the GAD diagnosis. But, my sensory issues are undeniable. I've called myself Comfy Socks, as finding those comfy socks just about changed my life. Clothes are such a big deal to me that I have a very limited wardrobe. I rotate 4 tops and 4 pairs of jeans and always wear the same brand shoes and socks. Also, my inability to filter out background noise resulted in me developing a telephone phobia, which has in turn caused me serious issues at work. Currently, I'm a full-time mum, which works fine mostly. I don't need to put myself in situations that stress me out, on a regular basis.

Anyway, I could say a lot more, but wanted to be brief. Hopefully that's brief enough. I hope to speak to lots of like minded folk on here.

Thank you.