SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Mom to an SPD teen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. What brings you here? My daughter has always had sensory issues, though never a formal diagnosis of SPD. Now that she is a teen, I am having to deal with all kinds of stuff I never expected!

4. Is there any immediate help you need? Certain "developments" are causing problems (fairly serious) for her now. I really need support and input from those who both have SPD (and can therefore try and help me better understand/appreciate what she is going through, and how you handle it) and those who have kids in a similar situation (to share possible solutions). If you have SPD, can one really feel one's breasts grow? Is the presence of them on your chest distracting (dd complains every time she moves her arms they annoy her--the change in their dimensions is perceptible, and annoying, to her). How do you, yourself handle these sensations? Is there any kind of desensitization that works?

What have you done about bras? There are all the SPD issues (tightness, rubbing bits, etc, etc) but then then there are the "typical teenager" (she is a week away from 17) bits, like she wants pretty undies, and thinks that sports bras give a "hideous, uni-boob" look.

5. SPD doesn't run your life! What are you or your child's gifts? Interests? My dd is a bright kid who is in a really bad place right now. I am finding that the SPD IS running our lives, and not in a good way. She is completely obsessed with the changes happening to her body, and literally cannot concentrate on anything else. She has asked for breast reduction surgery, and last night asked about trying herbal breast reduction pills! For perspective, size-wise she is about a 34B, so we are not talking huge here.

6. What do you like to do in your spare time? Any hobbies or interests? When I have time, I read. I also love my garden!
What I like best is just wearing a compression shirt and not needing to wear a bra. It's by far the most comfortable. Other than that I usually wear a camisole with a built in bra.

Both of those probably get counted in the "hideous, uni-boob" look, but maybe they'd be acceptable. Worth trying on in a store.