SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Tickling is NO fun!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am not sure if I have SPD, but after reading some articles and looking at the different symptoms I am wondering if this may be what is actually going on with me. I am hoping for some help and insight.

I suppose I should start out by letting you know that I have been diagnosed ADHD about 2 years ago and have obsessive compulsive tendencies. My main problem is that I am ALWAYS itchy.

I have very sensitive skin and some skin allergies, but no matter what I do and what precautions I take, I am still always itching. I am very sensitive to anything touching me (clothes, people, objects, and hair especially). I can intensely feel the slightest touches and it makes me itch. It's like my body is constantly being tickled by everything around me. My fiance learned quickly to NOT tickle me or else I will start to cry and hyperventilate. I am always scratching at myself and quite often scratch the skin right off in the process causing painful cuts and irritation. I can't ignore it either, if I don't scratch it becomes very painful and it does not go away. I have daggers for fingernails and when I got fake nails put on that weren't sharp, I was in tears because I couldn't scratch "properly". I actually ended up using a sharp knife to scratch because I couldn't take it anymore. The worst areas are my legs and my scalp. I use only perfume/dye-free products and all-natural shampoo/conditioner.

I went to see a dermatologist and she said it was probably eczema, prescribed me some steroid cream and sent me on my way. While the cream helped heal the current irritation, I was still itchy...even while the cream was on! I've also used every anti-itch cream I could get my hands on.

I'm really starting to think that this issue is psychological rather than physical. I didn't see a whole lot online about itching with SPD, so I apologize if I'm totally off the mark here, but I'm desperate for some relief. I have read that SPD and ADHD can go hand-in-hand and that ADHD can be the cause of some sensory issues, and also that SPD is often misdiagnosed as ADHD. I am prescribed Adderall and it helps greatly to focus and accomplish tasks, but it does not help at all with my itching. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
-AlwaysItchy
Hello alwaysitchy,

I get the itchy sensation too. I found that soaking helps me a great deal. I also use a paint stripper pad instead of a loofa to get as much dead skin off me as possible. I don't remember it being painful but I started that year's ago. It might have been a little but it's the only way I feel clean.