SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Looking for advice for my Foster child!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!
I've been looking after my fc for 6 weeks now. She came with quite a record. Tantrums were her speciality!
Now I've gotten to know her a bit, I think I may have stumbled upon the root of her problems!
I'll try and explain as briefly as possible!
When she came, she had a school skirt on and a fleece. She had them on for 5 days and nights! When ever I tried to persuade her out of them, a tantrum would happen. She would repeat the same sentence over and over.
So, 6 weeks later, and still no underwear, but one summer dress. ( maxi dress, off the shoulder) My baggy cardis, and that's it. My baggy t shirts for bed. She wont entertain any of her own clothes. Even the ones she arrived in will not be contemplated now.
She's 10 years old. I have tried to gather some past information, and the clothes issue does pop up now and again. Apparantly she refused to wear socks for a long time.
She often says things like, 'I wish I was just normal'.
I think she really does want to be able to wear normal stuff. When I ask why she cant she just says 'feels funny'. She becomes aggitated whenever I bring up the subject.
I do think she has sensory problems. But I really dont know which way to turn! To carry on as we are, (not even sure whether she's staying with us yet.) or risk bad moods by bringing up the problem (Even when I do, I dont get very far!)
Any advice very welcome!
I'd start with working on it friendly, without making it a thing to even talk about. just a thing you all do. Don't immediately bring her to occupational therapy (though it'd be good for her, and I suggest she go, working on the mood as well when she's so new to you is a place I'd start first), but do things like if strong hugs help, see about playing games that involve putting lots of deep pressure on her body. If there are certain calming noises, use them, etc.

Then, once you're more settled, occupational therapy would be a good idea for her, and you could present it as "they'll make it easier for you to wear more different type of clothes"; because that is one thing an OT can work on.