SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Getting diagnosis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, long term and ongoing, and ocd. My observation is that many of the spd symptoms and characteristics can also fit into ocd, ocpd etc etc. But I don't completely fit onto those categories. It has been so very frustrating trying to get someone to help and to be more specific. But I have again been referred for councelling which I already know is going to be a waste of time. Discovering SPD has turned my world completely upside down. When I read a thread and
there is mention of something that I experience, it gives me a sharp intake of breath. Then a smile and butterflies in my stomach.
My regret is that I have had this all my life and been so hard on myself for being awkward/over emotional/a loner/very fussy/rigid with routine/appear lazy but just cannot get things done/always last minute for everythhing. I have felt guilty for all of my short-comings as I saw them.
My inability to do my job because of the distraction of my environment, the layout, my desk, the position of the phone, needing so much to be just right but never achieving it, was enormous. The daily quest to re-arrange prevented me from reaching my full potential. The need to re-start if I made a mistake, my excessive need to "doodle" distracting me, a strong
accent of a workmate grinding me down. Oh I could go on for hours! All these years, all this time, and I couldn't help it. That makes me feel so sad.
My hope now is to get the correct diagnosis and possible therapy, and a change of meds if need be.
Can anyone advise please if there is a particular book for adults with SPD? Or is the one for children just as relevant to adults?
I also wanted to say that I always used to be an excellent speller. I never had to think about spelling anything. But now I really struggle with relatively simple words. I have been so worried as I thought that I was starting with dementia. My memory is becoming quite erratic. Why is the medical world so behind on this one?
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear of your issues getting help. My heart goes to you on it. I am new to all of this trying to find someone to do diagnostics... I don't even know yet if I have SPD or APD. But finding someone who even knows where to send me for help has becoming maddening!
May I ask you, what type of doctor (or professional) did you finally go to that was able to give you a diagnosis?
I was referred by my regular doctor for a course of 6 sessions of CBT to try to help with my anxiety and depression. When discussing aspects of my life that caused me to feel anxious, I told her that it was my inability to complete tasks that caused me the most problems at that time. I told her that I have OCD issues that affect my day to day life. When I elaborated, she agreed that I am suffering with OCD. But I don't think that now after discovering all this information about SPD. It doesn't seem though, from reading these posts, and other information out there, that the medical world recognise SPD as a medical condition. I don't know where that will leave me actually. Mental health seems to be a very hit and miss area. Good luck with your journey.
I'm sad that I am not the only one who has had difficulties getting a diagnosis.
I am very much with you in thinking that I have had SPD all of my life and only recently am I finding ways to cope with it.
Doctors just called my overly anxious and gave me anti anxiety pills... basically they thought I was just crazy and that my issues were all in my head. I know now they are wrong, but getting them to admit that is very hard. SPD doesn't seem to be a well recognized condition, which is very sad.
However, having dealt with health issues over the course of my lifetime, I have learned to just try what I can to deal with what I think I have and not wait around for a doctors approval. Basically the mentality of "if it helps, hooray, if it doesn't move on and try something else". Everything I have tried in dealing with SPD has helped me a lot, so I am sure I have SPD, whether the doctors admit it or not. I am so excited about finding this Forum and this SPD website. Hoping to glean a lot of info. Smile