SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Noob to SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone!

New here, not diagnosed with SPD, but desperately trying to find some help.
I suffer from major depression, PTSD, obsessive-compulsive tendencies, and I could probably go on.
I am 34 and looking for a diagnostician in Albuquerque (or even Santa Fe), New Mexico.
I have been overly sensitive to environment and having increasing difficulty learning and processing. For a long time, I thought I was just getting old or losing my marbles. And when I was young, I was labeled as being moody and temperamental. But as I see more and more doctors who test me for things that come back "normal" and the more reading I do, the more convinced I am that there is something between me and SPD.
I discovered sensory diet and what to do there, haven't tried it yet. It appears to me that it is a whole lot of exposing yourself to your discomforts in tolerable bits. I'm at the stage in the game that I don't think I could handle the sensory diet right now. I might just go through the roof.
I welcome anyones words and/or advice here. I feel crazy and alone right now.
TIA.
Diagnosis generally is done by an occupational therapist.

Sensory diets aren't about exposure therapy; they're about calming your system down by giving your system good input to your system. So for example, one thing that is good to me is deep pressure. I like the feeling of being squished. So I'm as I'm writing this sitting under my weighted blanket. It's giving me good sensory information to help my body deal with a world that isn't meant for my body.