SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi/Help with GP visit anxiety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am new to this forum but glad to be here. I have a son in his early 20s recently diagnosed with high-functioning ASD and SPD. Both diagnosis were somewhat of a relief, as they explain so much and he is now learning to communicate to us things that upset him and we are learning better ways to help him but overall we are still struggling to figure things out. I have a very pressing question which is the reason I joined (though I'm sure i will have many more): My son has been seeing his pediatrician since birth and ADORES him, however he just retired (Since my son was so recently diagnosed his pediatrician doesn't know that he has ASD/SPD so it isn't in his medical records) and we just had to find a new GP.. My son is very nervous about visiting this new GP because it's a new person which is scary to begin with, but my son also has a very hard time with people touching him and can't stand things being near his ears. He had trouble with this with his pediatrician too but I think since he was so familiar with him it wasn't as bad. My son is trying to gain some independence and doesn't want me to come to this appt. which I am comfortable with but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to make this easier on him, how to explain things to the gp, how to handle with the discomfort and anxiety that being touched causes him, how to prepare. Thanks so much in advance - I know that was a long post. Smile
Hi!
I am also new here and posted issues concerning dental visits...I totally understand not wanting people touching you and not being able to stand things being in or near particular areas, in your son's case, his ears. I don't know what the solution is as I practice avoidance and do pretty well with that until something bad happens and am forced to confront this issue. Perhaps allowing him to place whatever it is they need to use to look? Maybe just the Dr. understanding his sensitivity and the following reaction would help? Maybe at his age they can avoid looking in the ears unless he is symptomatic? I read about the heavy blankets or quilts to use and about certain activity prior to the appointment that may help prepare his nervous system and make him better able to handle the stimulus but I can't say I have any experience with it. I'm here looking for suggestions too! Hope we find some !
Hi
Sorry but there seems to be a lot of people that look on here but not many that post.
I knew someone who could only have any dentistry work under General. I have a fear of choking when at the dentist but always work on the what is the worst that can happen? I nearly ran once in the middle of root canal but didnt as I knew I would have to return. It is great that things suddenly make sense to you and also you are by no means alone. Just a pity it is so difficult to find help of any sorts
As for your son going to the gp I think yes you need to inform the gp beforehand but also let your son go on his own as quite often in my experience it is less traumatic when you are on your own.
Sorry not to be a great help to you both
Thank you Jamse37. I laughed when I read your root canal story as I had just had my first and hopefully last one and bolted from the chair, ran to the bathroom and text my ride that I was leaving & to meet me on the highway. The sedation kicked in before I could get to the lobby but I was going.... I know exactly how you felt. Sedation dentistry is my dr's solution but the timing and dosage takes a few appointments to get right. In the meantime those appointments add to the problem - eventually a solution, I hope. This doesn't work for independence though, as you need someone to drive so I wouldn't suggest it for em's son and the GP appt. unless she wanted to take him. You're right, it is tricky to find help. I'm kind of diagnosing myself too, come to think of it.
Thank you all so much! I especially like the weighted blanket idea, he has one and it works so well. I think i will suggest he get there early and just sit with it in the car for a while before going in.
I agree that making his doctor aware of his ASD/SPD and anxiety ahead of time would be a really great move - does anyone have ideas on the best way to do this? Should I call? See if he will call? Ask his therapist to call or send something over? I feel like the therapist could do the most with preparing the dr. to meet him and be with him but would love to hear other opinions...
Hi Em
You can also get weighted vests jackets etc which may help. But as usual with things like this they are expensive.
I done know where about you are but I would suggest speaking direct with the Dr. They should do you a call back
Talk to him about asking his therapist to send something over to his doctor about his diagnoses and what that means for how to be a better doctor for him. Don't have it just be "these are diagnoses', have it be "these are diagnoses, what matters is issues with getting near ears and with getting touched", does getting warned help? If so, mention that. Does touching firmer help touch more than touching too light? If so mention that. Have it organized in an easy to reference thing for the doctor to reference right before the appointment.

But have it come from the therapist. And have him be part of the process of putting this together. Don't do it skipping over him. He's an adult. He might be disabled but he's still an adult.

Weighted blankets are great. I also use compression shirts. That might be a good idea too; a compression shirt under the t-shirt. Weighted vests are good, but so hard to find. I basically couldn't find any in adult sizes. Mine is homemade.
Hi I have a weighted blanket for my son I'm not sure how much it helps at the minute as its so hot he can't use it. I'm hoping when it cools down it will help more. Sorry I can't help with the other stuff I'm still fighting for a diagnosis