SPD Support Forum

Full Version: is it SPD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m a kindergarten teacher and lately I've been reading up on SPD a lot.
I have one child who seems to have many issues. Being so involved in SPD I’m not sure if her problems are just social and academic or if it maybe does stem from SPD.
She is kind of allergic to any sort of transition and change. The first few weeks of school she was unwilling to participate in any activities what so ever. On Fridays bus route #2 enters my class, and I automatically get a tail – this child wouldn't let go of me.
Any small change in school, like school assemblies, has her cling to my feet or cry unstoppably. At our mommy & me she refused to get up on stage and instead sat on her mommy’s lap as the class was performing.
Academically she’s not doing well either. Her cutting skills are bad; she pours too much glue, and presses too hard on crayons or pencils. She has a hard time using new tools or learning any new skills.
She is extremely insecure, timid, and cautious. She fairs anything unfamiliar. In the playground she wouldn’t try monkey bars or too high slides…
I also noticed that she’s very insecure with steps – she holds on to the railing for dear life.
When she feels unsafe I take her hand and give her a ‘strong squeezy’. She loves that.
So I want to know if you think any of this shows that she is suffering from SPD?
If you have an OT on staff or a psychologist ask for a consult (with the parent's approval). Things you can try is if you have a weighted blanket or a "quiet" corner in your classroom it can really help. If they're fidgety have them stack books, blocks etc., give them something to do with their body while you're teaching. It can be hard in a classroom with other kids where they're expected to sit all day and be quiet, not touch others and participate. Weighted vests have helped my son a lot in class. If this child does have SPD changes in routine will be very difficult, giving them a 1 -2 min ahead warning that something will be changing i.e. location, class etc., can be helpful.