SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello! Question about language learning and SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I'm Holli, I'm 17 years old with SPD.
I was wondering if any one else here with SPD learns another language?
I've been studying Japanese for 4 years now and really am struggling, I'm so bad with the listening comprehensions, I mean I can hear and understand but it really doesn't click in my brain. It's so worrying and frustrating for me because I really want to live and work in Japan one day and become fluent in Japanese but I can't ever see that happening, so could I ask if any one here with SPD has been successful in learning another language?
Have you tried immersion-based learning? Even over here, some classes instead of being translation-based are immersion-based, where things like 100% of the class is in the language, you don't learn new vocabulary except by using it, whether spoken, written, read. (And then you have context to figure out meaning, just like English. In my class like this we then could look it up in a translated dictionary, but would have to define it in language to the class if we did so.)

I know that worked better for me, I know it works better for language learning in general, and I think with the "I can hear and understand but it doesn't click"; it really strongly suggests that its something to try.

(My biggest issue with languages was spoken. I have enough issues with English, speaking another language at all? Not going to happen.)