SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Possibly sensory disorder - please can anyone help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I am really hoping someone can help us. I believe my 3 year old may have a sensory disorder. He is a wonderful boy, very sweet, switched on and has an incredible imagination. A lot of the time he is brilliant he can be so sweet and lovely but there are certain situations which I am guessing make him feel upset for some reason and he just flips. He gets hyperactive and can not control his behaviour, he gets emotional and frustrated and cries uncontrollable in the most dramatic way! I try to take him to the side and ask him to take deep breaths and try to calm him down, cuddle and reassure him, he tries and I believe he wants to do but he literally can not stop himself, he acts like he can not control his body he throws toys, shouts, climbs on things- he just turns completely! He is either hyper or crying constantly throwing himself on the ground etc.. it is so upsetting because it is not how he normally is!
I can't quite work out why certain situations trigger this behaviour, it normally involves being around children his age but he is fine at preschool?
When people come to our house this always happens. At the park with his best friend it happens. At his Nana's house with his cousin it happens?

I just need to know how to help him control his emotions/behaviour. The reason I think it is a sensory issue is because it is certain environments that set him off and with it he increases the behaviour he has of having to lick/eat everything, his Doctor said this is most likely a sensory issue still doing this at his age.
Has anyone been through this at all??

Thank you so much for any help x