SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Sensory Processing-Getting Accomodations at school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

My 6 year old child had a special ed evaluation done by a school psychologist last April. We received the results back in May, but they are finally getting around to completing the MDT & IEP. I think they got by taking so long because of a sensory eval that was done at the beg. of the year, but we talked about it last May.

He qualifies for special education services under Autism and the school is going to offer him speech/language services for pragmatic language skills. OT services and/or sensory accommodations could be made as a related service even if he doesn't qualify for OT. The teachers completed a sensory profile. He came out as probably difference in the areas of tactile/touch, auditory, and social participation. So not typical performance, but not definite difference.

Not only do I work in my child's school, but I also work in the special ed department as a special ed teacher. So it's a tricky situation to be in. Our meeting isn't for a few more weeks, but being that I work there I've heard a lot and know what's going on with my child's rough draft IEP. The special ed director doesn't feel that my son needs OT pull out or even sensory accommodations. In fact the teacher doing the IEP was told to take out OT services when she felt they were needed. I feel that he does because I feel that he holds it in at school all day long and then is a meltdown mess at home after school. But of course they are going to say that it doesn't affect him at home (pretty much who cares how he acts at home because he's perfect here at school). He is a rule follower at school and does well that way. Plus the structure helps I believe.

The classroom teacher states that he follows directions, talks to the other kids, is starting to do too much talking occasionally, and participates in large group discussions. Last year's teacher when we begun this process would state he follows directions, he exhibits anxiety in situations, doesn't participate in large group discussions, prefers only a few kids, and not others. She was really tuned into all kids though. This year's teacher has a tough time dealing with the disruptive kids that I could see my kid really being withdrawn during large group time and going unnoticed. I'm not in his classroom much this year, so I'm not sure how he's actually doing in terms of this.

If we don't pull him for OT services (which would be great to pull him for but really pulling him once a week may not be that beneficial to tell you the truth) I'd really like to see some sensory accommodations in there such as brushing, compression vest, or something to help him. But I have a feeling it's going to be a fight.

His only accommodation is visually presented schedules, rules, and written reminders.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can convince them that some sensory accommodations are needed?
Wish I had some ideas for you, I'm in the same boat with my 4th grader, we are meeting with the school psychologist in the next few days, but the teacher is convinced he is just 'not trying hard enough' even though he has been diagnosed with significant sensory dysfunction in all areas but social interaction. In fact it took me getting with the guidance counselor and bringing attention to the fact that his anxiety level has gone WAY up this year to finally get something scheduled at all.