SPD Support Forum

Full Version: SPD causing hearing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm 19 and I have SPD. Most of my issues have been texture (food-specific and clothes-specific), hearing (overwhelmed by multiple conversations and large crowds with acoustics, etc.) and light (fluorescent lighting is h*llish)

Lately, though, I've noticed things have gotten a little worse in the hearing realm of things. Suddenly, I cannot watch TV shows without captions on. I keep having customers at the gas station work at repeat themselves, because words sound slurred together. Certain voices (very deep, rough and low or very high pitch and shrill) annoy me and I find myself involuntarily tuning them out like when I was young.

It's almost like a form of regression I have no control over?

I don't think it's actual hearing lot or deafness because I can still clearly hear alarms, microwaves, telephones, etc. just fine. Totally clear. Certain voices, I can hear totally clear, but others it's like...What???? Are we in a tunnel???

Has anyone else experienced this? I can only find articles about children with SPD experiencing great hearing loss AND/OR only children who have hearing loss that LEADS to SPD and sensory issues.

Thanks. I will consult a doctor for a hearing test if this keeps up, but I'm fairly sure it's sensory related since it's so specific.
Yes, I experenice a similar problem to yours. I worked at a mall store where they had music playing constantly and they had flourescent lighting.

When I drove home at the end of the shift my brain would shut down. I think that this is how the brain copes with the bumbardment of stimuli.

For some time I thought I was losing my hearing. What I had to do was to decompress by going to a quite space and check my bodies homeostasis. Then I would be able to, for lack of words, unclog my mind and I could hear a little better.