SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Just found out today I most likely have SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
24 years old.

Been having problems recently with my wife, I got married a few months ago and for some reason I cannot stand her touching me in soft ways most of the times. It doesn't really matter when she touches me hard, but when it is to cuddle or touch me softly, even for sexual interaction, I get easily bothered and it has created a problem for her, she told me yesterday she feels rejected by it and I can understand her obviously. Since we had that problem yesterday, I started reading today about why I can't stand anyone touching me and arrived to this webpage.

Going back to my past I remember I can't stand my parents hugging me, I can't stand when people touch me, even in friendly ways. I try to avoid shaking hands or hugging. I am extremely picky when it comes to how I feel clothes on my body, I need to buy exactly the same underwear because when I wear a different one I spend all day feeling uncomfortable, same with socks. I tend to repeat the same jeans everyday because once they feel more soft and fit to me legs I can use them without feeling annoyed, my wife tried to change this because she insisted it was not clean to do that, I agreed and changed the habit and have tried ignoring the fact that different pants annoy me, they make me feel uncomfortable. Same thing as well with shirts, not the same one, but I have like 3 or 4 shirts I tend to repeat because they are the only ones that don't make me feel annoyed on my body or skin (the material they are made out of). Same goes with shoes, I had issues repeating the same shoes until they were practically destroyed, just because they were the only ones to feel good on my feet.

Something else I noticed is how I simply cannot stand the heat, I cannot live in a hot place, because it pretty much elevates everything I explained previously to another level. Everything starts bothering me and I sweat easily. I read in another place that many times SPD can also be diagnosed in children with ADHD, I was never treated for this but I believe when I was a child I had ADHD, in school I had issues with paying attention and I could not stand still or stay still at all. Always moving my legs hands, making noises with my mouth and body. The teacher would talk and I would be in another planet completely, still I got excellent grades and was pretty smart.

I also read that anxiety might provoke a higher level of SPD, since when the human being is anxious, his senses tend to be more sensitive. I also have a difficult time getting comfortable on a sofa or couch, everything tends to bother me, also on my bed. The material in which the blankets are made with can bother me easily if they feel uncomfortable (to me). When bought the couches for my house I couldn't stand them, the material and the way they felt, I had to change the couch for a softer one and even after that, with the new ones I have specifically a place on the couch where I need to sit in in order to feel good, any other position annoys me. At the beginning it was extremely hard for me to get used to sleeping with my wife, mostly because at night I would feel like my space was invaded and I have had a difficult time getting used it, it's not so hard anymore but I have seen that sometimes I am half asleep and if a part of her body touches me, I immediately try to get away or push her away because of a sudden urge of annoyance. I really ove her and she is the most important person in my life, but for some reason my body doesn't stand those soft touches that feel somehow ticklish.

Recently I have been seeing many of these things and feel a little uncomfortable with my body in total, I feel like I am always edgy or annoyed by stupid things people aren't usually bothered by. Due to this I tend to get angered or annoyed and bad tempered easily. I usually feel a little down or sightly depressed because of all this and this makes me feel tired or fatigued, even if I didn't even have any sort of physical work. My wife has a hard time understanding me because of it and now I see what is probably going on. I will try to look for an OT to see if they can diagnose this or something similar, I do feel by reading other people's posts or experiences that I have SPD.