SPD Support Forum

Full Version: I have SPD. Now what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently discovered I have SPD. I know what is "wrong" with me but that's it. What are somethings I can do to help myself? What do ya'll do?
Thank you so much.
Since SPD has such a broad range of symptoms, what I do to help myself might be different than what you would need to help yourself. I would try looking at the particular symptoms and difficulties you have and then start researching and asking questions from there. If you can, I'd try and find an occupational therapist who treats SPD, but it can be difficult to find one who has experience with adults.

Just to give you an idea of the sorts of tools and strategies out there, here's a list of examples of the things I do/ use to help myself:
-noise canceling headphones to help with loud environments
-tinted prism glasses and sun glasses to help with visual processing and overload
-a weighted vest and blanket
-swings and a rocking chair
-rationing my sensory energy(like not going clothes shopping and out to the movies on the same day, or planning in sensory diet activities like swinging to help me get through the day.)

The list could go on and on, and these are just the things I use, so there's a lot out there. I hope this is in anyway helpful Smile