SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Dentist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, I have a question. What do you do about going to the dentist when you are extremely sensitive and gag every time the dentist touches your mouth...aside from not going to the dentist for years..?

thanks =)
I go to the Dentist and just grin and bear it. That said, my taste/texture issues isn't my major SPD problem.

I have more of a problem with Lidocaine used to numb my gums while they do any kind of Dental Procedure. Lidocaine/Novacaine has almost no affect on me and it wears off quickly.
Frankly, the last time I was in the dentist, even with the laughing gas, I still panicked. And he could only play with my mouth for a minute at a time before I had to sit up. Sad

That said, there are dentists that will put you to sleep for procedures. I've considered doing that, but since I don't have insurance for dental currently... Sad In our area, we even have dentists that advertise as specifically working with people who hate going to the dentist for whatever reason.
I just had to have root canal therapy and 4 big old fillings replaced... I got throught the root canal (just) but it took a couple of days and two yoga classes to calm me down. I can do the dentist visit but fall in a heap afterwards, sometimes for days. When it came to the fillings I just couldn't face the drilling (the noise and vibration.... oooh) so I had a general anaesthetic in the chair, an anasthetist came. Just brilliant!

I don't remember anything but I'm told that several times through the 2 hours I made the dentist stop (made the big "time out" hand signal")... even when I'm unconscious I'm still telling people what to do! Got my money's worth out of the insurance this year!

BusyMum
Big Grin (check out those beautiful teeth!)