SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello good folks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I am an adult with something wrong. Who isn't? A brief history. (LOL! Are these ever brief?)

When I was 8 years old I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Don't gasp yet. That diagnosis was bunk in my opinion. None the less, years of medication, different diagnosis, and therapy later, I am completely medication free. Ok, so I still take some for my stomach because as it turns out, psych meds are rough on it. I do have auditory, visual, olfactory hallucinations, and I often get sensations of being touched when nothing is there.

Now to the SPD part of all this. I stumbled upon a checklist of things common to SPD folks. Lo and behold, 90% of them fit me on a 4 (or higher depending on the particular checklist) scale.

My current psychiatrist has suggested I have problems processing my senses. So I have been digging up information about it. This psychiatrist tells me there are no services available in my area for Adult SPD.

It is what it is I guess. I came here because I have found forums to be of great help with my other issues. That and my "psychotic symptoms" are definitely stirred up by sensory stimulus.

By the way, I am now over the age of 30. I have been dealing with sensory issues since my memories begin in life. I wish I could have gotten treated but you can't win at everything.

So, Hello and I hope there are other adult people who deal with this here!
Hi there and welcome, I am new here also.

My son is 13 and dealing with SPD, we had him in OT earlier in life and unfortunately stopped it, since it seemed like we were not seeing the affects we wanted. In hind sight, we should not have stopped, and now I feel awful and wonder if he is too "old"....but I have faith that it is never too late to change. So, have hope that you will find some help. Half the battle is knowing what the problem is and going from there. I wish you the best. When I read through the forum, it looks like there are many adults on here who have just discovered a name (spd) for their lifelong problems.