SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Mild SPD or maybe not SPD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! Glad to have found this forum!

I'm 36 and I have a 10 year old daughter. My psychologist suggested that I could have SPD and my daughter could too. I can also look back and suspect that my mom had it.

After some research, I was in tears, with mixed emotions. Could this revelation actually help me lead a life of less constant irritation?! What a miracle that would be! However, as I researched a bit more, I'm wondering if my issues are even serious enough to be considered SPD. I mean, I don't get panic attacks or anything like that, but there are DEFINITELY sensory sensitivities that serious affect my life.

While I had some issues as a kid, I don't know that they could have been diagnosed as SPD. So, I guess my question is, if a have a few sensitivities that seriously affect me and a lot of sensitivities that mildly affect me, is it likely SPD or something else?

I already have an appointment with a psychiatrist in about 2 weeks and I plan to try to get in to see an occupational therapist asap. However, I was hoping you experienced people could provide some information sooner!

Thanks in advance!