SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Anxiety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son, 13 had a really bad morning today due to some sand on our wooden floors. It basically sent him on a path/spiral of negativity into a dark place. He is tactile defensive and his new aversion is sand/dust.

I'm curious if anyone out there has any success with anti anxiety medication for their spd? His pediatrician feels he is depressed, and I don't disagree, and gave us a perscription for Prozac, which I am hesitant to give him.

Would an anti anxiety medication help him not to "overreact" spiral downward?

Thanks!
(09-26-2016, 01:18 PM)sylvia Wrote: [ -> ]My son, 13 had a really bad morning today due to some sand on our wooden floors. It basically sent him on a path/spiral of negativity into a dark place. He is tactile defensive and his new aversion is sand/dust.

I'm curious if anyone out there has any success with anti anxiety medication for their spd? His pediatrician feels he is depressed, and I don't disagree, and gave us a perscription for Prozac, which I am hesitant to give him.

Would an anti anxiety medication help him not to "overreact" spiral downward?

Thanks!

Hi Sylvia,

My 15 year old son has been on Zoloft for about a year and it has a great help to him along with working with a counselor around his anxiety. He is an overresponder for sure especially around auditory sense. I do not have any experience with prozac.

Hope that helps.

Pam
Dear Sylvia,

I hope your son has better morning today!

Maybe you will find this link useful - http://www.sensory-therapies.com/. Like Pam, my family don't have any experience with prozac, but ILS therapy is effective for my younger brother.

I wish you all the best.

Alex
I think that you are doing great. I know that it is hard to make it work every single day. Just hang in there
Hey. I can understand the struggle, My younger sister has days like that as well. It takes a toll on our mother as well. I have witnessed it many times when she had those bad days when she is in pain and anxious and it is just so hard to keep her calm and actually make her focus on something positive. We have talked to many doctors and one of them suggested we try giving her medical marijuana since the medication in the dosages that actually helped her was close to toxic. It was a fairly agonizing decision for my parents and I because you have to understand that it is not easy to agree to give your child drugs (even recreational ones) but they were desperate and agreed to anything. We talked to some of the people who had prior experience with it and they suggested we try edibles. We ordered them from this one website that you guys can check here: https://www.koalitymedicinals.com/. I have to say that it really helped my sister. It calmed her down and it made out everyday life easier. I hope that everything works out with you and your family.