SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Using the Computer With SPD and DCD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any advice? I'm having a really hard time.

I currently use OS X, which lacks accessibility features. I used to use Linux, and kept encountering new hardware and driver accessibility problems.

I have a low-frequency flash/strobe sensitivity, and have a lot of trouble with animation, flashing, blinking cursors, etc. I use Firefox add-ons and scripts to block most of the animations, and the cursor blinking here. I am thinking of switching to Thunderbird if it has tools to block cursor blinking there. I am thinking of switching to Scrivener for my word processor, because LibreOffice lacks tools to block cursor blinking.

I also have a proprioceptive impairment, and rsi, and similar pain in my other arm and hand. I don't have the coordination to touch-type or two-handed type, so I can't use most of the standard ergonomic advice. I can type pretty quickly if I use Sticky Keys and keep my eyes on the keyboard, but I can't tell if I've accidentally hit shift or hit command and the computer has started taking my typing for something else. If I try to glance back and forth, I often end up missing and hitting the wrong keys. I usually edit my typing afterwards.

I have tried Enhanced Dictation, which can't recognize my voice, and Dragon, which can, but which I haven't been able to debug.
I am new to the forum and am skimming through some of the threads. Just wanted to say that Thunderbird is an e-mail client, so it is not a substitute for Firefox. I can relate to not being able to look at computer screens for too long at once.
I was switching from Apple Mail, which dosn't allow users to disable blinking cursors, to Thunderbird, which does. I also ended up switching from LibreOffice to NeoOffice rather than Scrivener, because Scrivener didn't work out.