SPD Support Forum

Full Version: are rages a component of spd?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
do kids rage--feel volcano in belly? does my 7 year old work so hard daily that what she feels are all her 'issues' balled up-smoldered over the course of a day and ready to blow? are there meds for her or just OT?
Yes, I think it is a component of SPD and is exactly what you said, they hold it together as long as they can and then you get the brunt of it at home because she's got to let it go somewhere and you are her safe person who loves her. So sorry you and your DD are dealing with this. Yes there is OT, and sensory things at home like swings and weighted blankets and joint compression, and some people get help with meds, and some people get help with special diets and/or biomedical treatment (supplements and such) and then there's also things like homeopathics and cranial sacral therapy/chiropractic care that can complement those other therapies very well too. It's kind of like putting pieces of a puzzle together though, you'll likely have to try some different things and keep trying. I've not known too many people with SPD to be helped by one certain thing alone, it's usually a process of trying and finding different things that help with different areas.
My SPD causes rages, but because of another problem I have it just causes me to paralyze.

Your child might need a safe way to express her rage. Could you set up a Boxing weight in your basement to punch? That way if she can't safely process the rage, she can go directly to the Boxing weight to get out her frustration. Frankly I think Boxing weights developed from early SPD's needing a safe way to cope.

I always used computer games to calm down from something that upset me past any level of rational thought. Mostly due to the paralysis problems I couldn't physically express my body's trauma at lights, touch, sound sensitivity well.
and when in these rages does anyone ever exhibit sib (self injury).....?
I know I have. About the only time I do. I'll punch my hand in my fist hard enough to bruise, stomp hard enough to hurt my feet, etc. I know these are not very "bad" ways of self-injury, but considering I go out of my way normally to NOT hurt myself, it's a big deal for me.
well then I think some of this shit is genetic lol cuse I sure do and my grandmother so i am told did as well......
(12-12-2010, 11:37 PM)silence6666 Wrote: [ -> ]and when in these rages does anyone ever exhibit sib (self injury).....?

Hi .. there has been one study I'm aware of into the effects of sensory integration OT on self injurious behaviour and stimming in a group of quite disabled/developmentally delayed children and young adults. Self injury was defined by the authors as being a quite extreme form of self stimulation. There was a decreasing effect following SI treatment compared to a more traditional therapy that suggests that when the nervous system is more organised the need for self stimulation was less.

If you are so stressed out (disorganised on a sensory level) that you feel a level of rage that is uncontrollable then you're not going to be making very logical seeming decisions about the degree of self stimulation you seek and you are more likely to injure yourself.

Does that make sense?

BusyMum
Sydney
My almost 10 year old son has had plenty of meltdowns, but I don't think he has rages. Unless he's holding them inside very well.

I have considered getting a punching bag for both my sons to use, in case they feel that need to hit something.

There's a (8 or 9 year old) girl at my son's social skills group who exhibits moments of rage, usually toward her mother. But I believe she has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS as well as the sensory processing things.