SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi...my name is Cindy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am desperate to find help for my 7 year old daughter. She has recently had an OT evaluation through her school that identified from Sensory Processing issues. They started her out with one session a day and bumped it up to two very quickly. She only has behavioral problems at school. So it is so hard to see her come home every day exhausted and missing work to have meeting after meeting with school personnel. I keep asking what can we do to look at the big picture with her instead of whenever something arises. Her teacher is supportive but they keep on trying to change the behavior instead of looking for the cause. I hope that if I educate myself I will be able to help her ....

THANK YOU for sharing your experiences for us all to learn from ..... Smile
Welcome!! It sounds like school is way overstimulating for her and she's having meltdowns. What can they do to give her breaks during the day at school to prevent her from reaching the point of exhaustion? My DD always needs to rest after OT, I can't imagine her doing an hour of OT and then going off to a crowded busy classroom.
I recommend taking a look at the book Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz
http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

This book has a ton of helpful information, hopefully it'll help you guys too. *hug*
Welcome to the site there. Smile

School issues are very common with SPD. We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to the topic, so hopefully as more parents pile in, it'll get more active and there will be even more great people here to share and over advise and support. In the meantime though, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Since we also like to get to know each other, would you like to share a bit about yourself, such as interests of hobbies?
(01-27-2011, 04:35 PM)cidzud Wrote: [ -> ]I am desperate to find help for my 7 year old daughter. She has recently had an OT evaluation through her school that identified from Sensory Processing issues. They started her out with one session a day and bumped it up to two very quickly. She only has behavioral problems at school. So it is so hard to see her come home every day exhausted and missing work to have meeting after meeting with school personnel. I keep asking what can we do to look at the big picture with her instead of whenever something arises. Her teacher is supportive but they keep on trying to change the behavior instead of looking for the cause. I hope that if I educate myself I will be able to help her ....

THANK YOU for sharing your experiences for us all to learn from ..... Smile

Hi Cindy, my son is nearly 5 and is having terrible time coping at school, meltdowns (he is high functioning autistic with tons of sensory processing issues). I have agreed with the school that to help him relax he needs a break where he can put headphones on and listen to something he likes (music, audio story etc). It is really the only time he is able to be calm, wearing headphones and shutting off the world even if its for 10 mins. Generally he does not stop moving, jumping up and down, fidgeting etc, and he can actually be still when wearing headphones. This may or may not be practical for your daughter, but I'm sure any suggestion is helpful to make you feel like you are not alone in your struggle. Is she able to articulate to you what is problematic for her at school? I have my son's first OT appt in a couple of weeks and I really can't wait to hear what the OT has to say. Keep strong, she is lucky to have a mum like you with an enquiring mind. X