SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi, Diane from CT with adult SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to all of this. I know I have always felt different and had my quirks or annoyances about touch and sound, but recently started learning about SPD when a therapist mentioned it to me. When I researched it it all made sense--no pun intended!
I am a mom to 3 and can already pick up on thier likes and dislikes of sensory processes and am eager to learn how to best manage mine.
My most troublesome senses (sorry for now yet knowing the proper terms here) to deal with are sound and touch. Very hard to not deal with them with 3 kids under 8--one still nursing. The only time I have felt at peace was when recently our power went out and I awoke to everyone sleeping and no noise. Seriously no noise, no white noise, no electronics humming, nothing. I felt like I had a huge weight off my shoulders, like I was in the middle of complete meditation, it felt SOOOO good and peaceful. I almost want to shut the power off on a daily basis hahaha. Anyway, thanks for having this forum, and I will be a regular here, looking forward to "meeting" everyone and learning how to best handle something like this. Does anyone know the best route to take in CT? Is there a list of OT"s for adults in this area?
Hi Diane! I know exactly what you mean about the times when the electricity goes off... it's like the whole world disappears. Big Grin I love doing that, myself. Part of the reason I love visiting my folks; they have a reasonably small amount of electronics in their house, so I have a good time there. Learning how to handle things is just taking a piece here and there and seeing what works for you. I'm in Louisiana, so I don't know about your OT's there. Best of luck with that. Smile

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Hi, Diane!
I'm in CT too! Central CT. I have a son with SPD, but the more I've learned about it the more I think I am SPD as well. I had him evaluated and diagnosed at a OT place in Wallingford, but so far I haven't found any places for adults. I've been meaning to call them and see if they have any suggestions or recommendations. My younger son is probably SPD (sensory seeker) too and I've been thinking about having him evaluated as well.

My issues are sound-related (certain sounds make me want to jump out of my skin) and I get overwhelmed/panicky in crowded, chaotic places. I've just started a general exercise class at our town's community center and after only 2 classes, I already feel better. Not just physically, but a sense of calm and being able to focus better and have a clearer mind. Definitely have been feeling out-of-sync for a while now.

I also started to see a psychologist and I'm hoping she can help find some OT/SPD resources for adults in CT.

Message me here! Or my email is LynnNBoys@yahoo.com.