SPD Support Forum

Full Version: introducing myself
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm Catherine. I'm in my mid-twenties and I'm currently a stay-at-home-mom. I've struggled with SPD all my life but have never been formally diagnosed. When I was in my teens I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder but the more I read about SPD, the more I realize how well it fits all my symptoms. It's kind of a relief to have an real explanation.
I can't multi-task at all. I hate driving and refuse to merge, pass other cars, or park near other cars in parking lots. I also have a very hard time following conversations if there's any background noise or other distractions. I really struggle to make friends.
I'm really a pretty happy person though. I have a great husband, three wonderful kids, and a nice life. For fun I like to read. I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you all.
Welcome Catherine!

I was reading some research recently about multi-tasking - it's not good for anyone apparently! Those of us who think we can multi-task are doing a few things really badly rather than one thing well. Recognising your limits is a great thing.

Smile
Hi Catherine! Welcome! Many of the things you mentioned sound very familiar! The more I've learned about SPD, the more I see how it fits myself as well as my son. I struggle to make and keep friends. I hate talking on the phone and cannot for the life of me take any kind of phone message--I need to see a person's face to really hear their words. I learn better by seeing/reading than by a teacher lecturing. The TV always seems too loud. I just realized a couple of days ago that I had probably been "self-regulating" as a teenager by rearranging my bedroom and moving the heavy furniture around by myself. I always just thought I enjoyed interior designing. Smile

I look forward to you joining the group!