SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Diagnosed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there. My daughter is 8 years old. We've had a stressful year (divorce, move across the country) so she started showing signs of some serious anxiety. I took her to the pediatrician, and after visiting with him, he said he thinks it may be SPD. We went in for the eval at OT, and afterwards, the OT said it looks like Georgia shows signs of SPD, and in her tactile processing, she has definite signs of SPD. We have started the brushing and joint compressions, along with once a week visits to OT.

But, does this mean it IS a diagnosis? Or, are they treating for what they think it may be. This has just all happened so fast, my head is spinning. Also, after reading online, I realize that SPD and OCD can look very similar. How can I protect her from a misdiagnosis? How do I know what is best, and what treatments will work best for her? Also, because of all of the heavy anxiety of the past year, is it possible that she is 'just' dealing with some of the residuals of this?

Thanks for your time. My worrying brain just doesn't know where to go with all of this. Smile
The OT is the one who is qualified to officially make the diagnosis, yes. The best way to know I think is to try the OT and anything else you think might help. Especially with a young child, a diagnosis is something that's going to evolve over time. For example, it wasn't until my daughter was in OT for awhile that they were able to notice dyspraxia as well. I don't think divorce or a move could cause SPD, no, but any stress would aggravate it.

It's hard not to worry I know. Maybe focus some of the worry energy on carefully observing how the things you are doing effect her, what's working and what's not. Keep notes if that fits your personality.

Someone gave me a really interesting link to some "Brain Gym" exercises that are supposed to help with anxiety and a you tube video that demos them. I am planning to try them with my daughter this week. Here's the you Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U44mPXEBdA
I think of sensory integration as a sliding scale. We all have sensory issues to some extent. It's just a matter of how mild or severe and how much it interferes with every day life. Some kids have other things or diagnoses along with SPD and some just have SPD. My son was diagnosed with SPD in 2008. He also has moderate to severe anxiety.

The OT is definitely the one who is qualified to make the diagnosis and offer treatment ideas. Georgia will definitely benefit from getting OT. He or she will help you with what you can do at home for your daughter.

The stress of recent events may have "triggered" the SPD issues to surface. I would also find a pediatric therapist/psychologist who knows about SPD to help your daughter with these difficult life changes. My son goes to a psychologist once a month and also goes to a social skills group once a week (at the same office). These have helped him greatly. I highly recommend finding one in your area.

Us moms have it made in the worrying department. It's part of the job.

Glad you found us! Welcome!
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
I agree with what everyone above has said, and I'd like to add to what Lynn said about stressful situations. I have certainly found that stressful situations have brought out the sensory issues. Mine were fairly mild when I was a child, mild enough that I wasn't even evaluated for anything like ADD/ADHD (which probably would have been the first choice back then, before autism was such a high-profile issue). But after I had several major life issues come up, things went haywire. But when my life is calmer or more routine, the symptoms are much more manageable, even without intervention. Of course, how that affects your daughter will related to what her level of difficulty is with her senses, but the OT can help you figure that out. Smile

And yes, moms are supposed to worry. Cheer up, we'll worry with you. Wink
Our son's SPD didn't become an issue until he went to preschool and then it became more of an issue at school... in different environments with more demands (ie stress) on him he coped less well. The stress thing becomes a spiralling cycle then too, more stress less coping, more stress etc etc. The OT can help you start to work out the triggers and issues for your daughter - every child with SPD is just so individual, it has to be done on that individual level and it can take time to sort through it. My son's underlying issue was his auditory processing and it took a while to come to that realisation, now we look back on it we've all thought "of course, it's so obvious" but it's not always.

As Sarah says, you are a mother. You worry. You're fulfilling your performance criteria indicators. Give yourself a payrise! (Don't we wish....)