SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Mother to newly diagnosed SPD toddler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
My name is Rebecca and I currently live in Texas. I am the mother to a brilliant, adorable, frustrating, and quirky 2 1/2 year old girl named Grace and a charming, rambunctious, funny and exhausting 11 month old boy named Phin.

Grace was just recently been diagnosed with SPD this past week. After months of speculation on whether she had an Autism Spectrum disorder, we finally got an appointed me a Pediatric developmentalist who diagnosed her with SPD.

I honestly feel a sense of relief now that she has been diagnosed. Ever since she was born, I felt she was different than other babies. She wouldn't sleep, yet didn't want to be held, she cried all the time. When she was just 11 months old and knew how to sign, she would sign "all done" when we were out in public, friends house, play groups etc. I often said, I felt like life was just so hard for her. She only felt comfortable at home, and even at home it could only be certain people, certain situations, certain things that would make her feel truly comfortable.

She has been in speech therapy and play therapy since she was 2 through ECI. Since finding out the diagnosis and unhappy with the level of care we decided to go privately through our insurance, so we can pick and chose our therapists. We live in a fairly small city (large by Texas standards), and will likely have to travel to Houston for her therapy's.

Anyhow, in my free time (although there doesn't seem to be any left) I like to travel outside of TX, listen to music, knit, sew, cook, and read.

I hope to get some support for Grace, my family, and my self from the message board.

Thanks for Reading!
Rebecca
Hi Rebecca... I can understand that an SPD diagnosis would have been a relief! A diagnosis of autism is a pretty scary thing to face. Now you can at least start to explore what it is your daughter needs. All of our children are so unique but Grace seems to have been able to communicate her needs and limits quite well. She will help you!

Welcome! Ask as many questions as you need!
Welcome Rebecca! I am in the Houston area as well. We have lots of medical professionals here. I trust you will find exactly what you and Grace need.
Hi Rebecca! Welcome! I completely understand the relief of the diagnosis. I remember just needing to know what it was. It sounds like you are on your way to getting Grace the help she needs. That's great! And she's still young. My son wasn't diagnosed until he was 6, in 1st grade. Just thought he was shy and sensitive as a toddler/preschooler, but it was more noticeable once he got to school that it was something more.

I hope you'll feel comfortable to jump in to the conversations on the various threads. Looking forward to getting to know you!