SPD Support Forum

Full Version: dental appliance sensory disaster ;-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went ahead and did something that was a challenge for me given sensory issues --- I had root canals removed, which means I need to wear a "partial," a dental appliance that replaces the removed teeth.

I am happier and calmer with my root canals out, so I'm glad I did it (root canals are not healthy--can make you depressed and sick). And at first the partial was very comfortable.

Long story short, I bit on something hard and now the partial doesn't fit quite right, it partial pokes into my gum. I'll be getting it fixed in a week and a half but until then it is really uncomfortable and takes over my mind.

Maybe some of you can understand that feeling, where if one of your major sensory triggers is off, it feels like life just can't be "right' or good or enjoyable until it's fixed.

Hoping to enjoy myself despite this.

I COULD go get it fixed in three days, but that would mean inconveniencing my mom, and I try not to inconvenience people over sensory issues.

It's funny, "sensory disasters" do cause physiological changes in me on par with other problems for which I'd see a doctor, but because they're "not real" I feel bad about doing anything to take care of them.
Good luck! I hope it's fixed now. That definitely sounds like something that would be challenging!
When something is sensorily off, I find it very difficult to function until the problem is fixed.
I had a cavity filled with a temporary and it came off and exposed a nerve. I had to get the partial fixed and wait for the permanent filling. Not fun. But I helped calm myself during routine visits by asking to put the weighted xray cover on me and I wear sunglasses to help the visual sensitivaty. That really works for me.