SPD Support Forum

Full Version: New Technology for diagnosing SPD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I ran across some technology being developed at the Autism and Communication Technology (ACT) department at the MIT Media Lab.

They are trying to “foster the development of innovative technologies than can enhance and accelerate the pace of autism research and therapy.”

I think this technology could be used to diagnose and test treatments for sensory processing disorders. I wrote about it in my blog. I would like to hear what others think of this.

Do you think technology like this could be helpful?
What technology? How does it exactly diagnosis and test treatments?

(05-15-2011, 04:59 PM)beck7422 Wrote: [ -> ]What technology? How does it exactly diagnosis and test treatments?

At this point in time it doesn't. But I think it could be useful as a tool! The Q-Sensor measures "arousal." You wear it for a while, plug it into a computer and you get a graph showing: time, whether or not you were in motion, and how "aroused" you were.

I think having this kind of information could revolutionize diagnosis and treatment. We could have "hard data" about what situations overstimulate us. Personally, I go numb in overstimulating situations. All my life I have just had to "buck up" and get through it. That means ignoring my feelings. When I have to go out and interact with the real world, I don't don't always know what over-stimulated me, I only know that when I get home I am so exhausted I can't function. Would be nice to be able to look at a graph.

Rosalind Picard, in the article, wore it one day on a trip to a Six Flags theme park. She was surprised to discover the biggest peak in her electrodermal activity was not on the roller coasters but in the morning trying to get the kids out the door.

What if we could actually see objective data showing over- or under- responsivity in our daily activities? We wouldn’t have to “be on the look out” for what set us off. Part of being over-stimulated is losing the ability to concentrate. How can we accurately determine anything when we are the exact opposite of an impartial observer?

I, personally, cannot tell the difference between under-stimulated lethargy and the exhaustion that comes after a numbing encounter with a toxic environment. It would be nice to know, do I need to feed my senses or hide out in a dark, quiet room.

And we could compare our physiological responses to environments or stimuli before and after treatment (with an OT, or medication or whatever) and measure the difference.
I wonder what http://neurogadget.com/2011/05/06/show-y...-ears/2100
would show. These cat ears show your mood and level of concentration.
(05-22-2011, 04:01 AM)beck7422 Wrote: [ -> ]These cat ears show your mood and level of concentration.

That is so cool! Sexy, brain-controlled ears. I wish I would have thought of that.