SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Numbers and patterns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else like numbers and patterns? I just saw a post on Facebook about a woman's daughter who really likes numbers, likes 45. Esp on the clock, 2:45, 11:45, etc.

I look for and like patterns. Numbers and letters. I get a little thrill when the car odometer "rolls" over to a cool number, like 12,345 or 44,444 or 2,882. I like even numbers better than odd numbers. 16 is probably my favorite number. It's one of the doubling numbers 2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8+8=16, and 4 x 4 = 16.

My favorite cool pattern is with my family's birthdates. In US style of month/date. My birthday is 2/5, my husband's is 3/7, and my older son is 5/12. So if you take the months, 2+3=5 and the days 5+7=12. So my birthday plus husband's birthday, equals my older son's birthday. My younger son is 9/13, but had thought it would be cool if he was born 10/24 (2+3+5 and 5+7+12). But I didn't really want to be pregnant for 44-45 weeks.

I like letters too. Making words from car license plates. I loved word find puzzles as a kid. I guess it's good that I'm a book editor. Grammar rules and patterns make sense to me! LOL
I do this too, even have to touch things a certain number of times too. My fab number is four, nice, even number, so I especially like four x four too or 4444. I count to four over and over whilst chewing, brushing my teeth, washing my hands, make things add up to four or multiples of four. It's very annoying at times too though.

Like if I burn my hand under hot water I will have to put my other hand under for four seconds aswel. It can drive me mad to be honest. I shout things out alot and make noises and sometimes I even have to do that four times unless its been building up a while and I have to do it over and over until it's out of my system. I have ADHD too though n my psychologist said it's my impulses and obsessions.
I unconsciously break up most things into algebraic equations and use statistics to do every day things.
I count everything. Needing to know "how many" is important to me.
I like for numbers to be exact. My husband and I get into discussions sometimes that sound like,
"It's about an inch long."
"No, it looks to me like an inch and a quarter."
And then we have to get out a tape measure and measure whatever it is we're talking about.
I recently bought a car with a GPS (which is fabulous! because my dyspraxia makes me lost.) I get a kick out of watching the distance to an intersection get counted down: 1 mile, 8/10 mile, 100 feet, etc. I am learning how to tell distances in exact measures.
I love to keep a running total of how much the contents of my grocery cart is going to cost. And I know within second of hearing the cash amount how much change I will receive.
Oh yeah, numbers are awesome!
It's kind of strange for me because I have problems with measurements and distances etc, I couldn't tell you how long a few yards are let alone the width of my hallways for instance. Some of you seem very gifted in the mathmematics department, wish I was too, I get lost and upset over bus timetables!
Doodlebodd, I'm not very good at judging distances or how long it's going to take for me to get somewhere. I can read a map and a bus timetable, but not a good estimator.
Visual distance judgement is poor for me. I judge distances based on "Won't hit anything in that area when I fall", "Will hit something when I fall", and "If I fall here I am in danger from something nearby". If I deal with a space in the last two categories I start to get upset. I use the adrenaline rush to get me to a safer location. The problem is the adrenaline itself triggers a paralysis attack and I end up falling once I am in a "safe spot".

I used to use walls (by walking with one hand on one) to help me figure out how far the center of my body was from the ground. I still tend to do it in areas where I am not comfortable that it is safe to fall. The safer the location the more confidently and faster I can walk (until I paralyze, usually due to a sensory stimulation). I have used a walking stick daily since I was 19. I am 34. This helps with a few of my body's positional misunderstandings and as an added bonus I can use it to "wake up" a limb that I can't feel without outside input. I "wake up" the limb by hitting it repeatedly with the walking stick until my body registers that it can feel the stick hitting it. My friends tickle my limbs and fingers to generate the same affect if I get stuck.

Being tickled makes me want to smack someone. I use the anger to trigger the adrenaline rush to get temporarily moving to a safer more comfortable position before I paralyze again (from the adrenaline rush dropping the available Potassium in my body).