SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Tinnitus / ringing in ears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone else have ringing in their ears? I have it and my mom has it, but always thought my mom had it from working as a secretary in a printing shop for many years. Plus I grew up about 6-7 miles from the Minneapolis airport, so thought noise from the airplanes might've caused it (both of us). And maybe I went to one too many loud concerts as a teenager.

But my older son (10) has said he often hears ringing, then just tonight my younger son (6) told me that he was hearing a ringing sound. We live in a small rural town. There are no loud sounds, they haven't been to any concerts.

Just trying out a new theory that maybe it can be related to SPD...
(06-06-2011, 11:04 PM)LynnNBoys Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone else have ringing in their ears? I have it and my mom has it, but always thought my mom had it from working as a secretary in a printing shop for many years.
Just trying out a new theory that maybe it can be related to SPD...

Yes, I have it really bad in my left ear. It started a couple of years ago and has gradually gotten worse. Recently, it seems like I have it in my right, too. But the left is getting so loud I can't tell for sure Smile

I have lots of muscle problems, that interfere with nerves. A year and a half ago I spent months trying to get a diagnosis. It was a nightmare. Just before I ran out of money and gave up I had a neurologist tell me he thinks the tennitis is caused by muscle spasms on the top of my shoulder resulting from the muscle spasms in the front of my shoulder that that were causing my hand to go numb. Yet unrelated to the muscle spasm in my hip that cause my left foot to go numb. But this was just his guess after thousands of dollars on office visits and tests.

I didn't know about SPD when the diagnosing was going on. But I did know I was a HSP. And I suspected the muscle problems, tension, anxiety were related somehow. I clench my jaw and grind my teeth a lot. I tried to explain to every health care professional I ran into on that hidious adventure about my hypersensitivity and they all seemed to dismiss it as neurosis.

Just recently, when I was investigating SPD I read about dyspraxia and now wonder if it might be related somehow. And I may never know because it will be a long while before I'm ready to put myself through another encounter with a cadre of doctors.

I don't know what to make about the boys. They are so young, and like you said not as exposed to a lifetime of loud noise. Do they ever listen to music through headphones? I encourage you to keep seeking an answer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was related to SPD.
Lane, problems with jaw can cause tinitus, things such as Bruxism or TMJ can mimic problems like Menieres Disease which causes vertigo, tinitus and hearing loss so maybe you biting down alot is causing it in your case.

Lynne, I'm not sure what to suggest. When do your boys tend to notice it more do you know? Things like cola and coffee and such are thought to play a role, do they drink cola at all? Being tired, stressed and certain medications are also thought to make it play up more aswel.

It can be just one of those things that alot of people get though when everything has gone quite, at night say, where there are not many other noisy distractions. Maybe us with SPD do notice it more, its an interesting thought.
(06-09-2011, 02:55 PM)Doodlebodd Wrote: [ -> ]Lane, problems with jaw can cause tinitus, things such as Bruxism or TMJ can mimic problems like Menieres Disease which causes vertigo, tinitus and hearing loss so maybe you biting down alot is causing it in your case.

You are most likely right.
Do you hear the same ringing on a walk through a park where you are by yourself without an electronic devices nearby? Some people can hear the regular humm of electronics.
(06-12-2011, 12:55 AM)beck7422 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you hear the same ringing on a walk through a park where you are by yourself without an electronic devices nearby? Some people can hear the regular humm of electronics.

I can't remember the last time was without an electronic device within arms reach Smile I'll have to investigate.
Thanks!
Take a picnic lunch with you and enjoy the outdoors without electronics.
I think for my younger son it might be that he gets fluid build-up in his ears. He tends to get ear infections with almost every cold (starting to get better as he gets older). This morning he said he heard a popping sound in his ears when he yawned. So now for him, I'm thinking it's just the fluid in his ears. I haven't asked my older son recently if he always has the ringing or just sometimes.

I have a doctor appt tomorrow for something else, so maybe I'll ask about the ringing.