SPD Support Forum

Full Version: SPD with Autism spectrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Cognitive Empathic challenges that are mentioned in the blog are what I think of when discussing Autism and Empathy. My niece with Asbergers has a very difficult time figuring out when people want her to stop whatever behavior she is doing based on non-verbal cues. She has a tough time sometimes stopping even with clear verbal instructions on why her behavior is bothering others.

Unless my SPD is completely out of control, I have no problems with Cognitive Empathy (reading non-verbal cues). My Emotional/affective empathy is similar to described in the blog. I feel what the people in the room are feeling. If it is too dark, I work to shift the energy in the room with silly behavior or comments that shock people out of their obsession with their problems. Once I get the room energy high enough, I suck it in and feed off of it for days. I love large groups of people because I need this regular energy theft. My favorite event each year is a gaming convention with 30,000 people. The energy gained from it lasts me for months.

I am better with the hugs version of Expressed empathy. I am crappy at the help around the house or tasks level of Expressed empathy. Most of my friends are the opposite.
Maybe a bit late, but I am. (Also ADHD)
This is very interesting to me. We are unsure of what lies ahead for my 9 month old son, but he was diagnosed with SPD. Could he be autistic? maybe... he does have many of the reg flags like little eye contact, etc., but all i care about is getting him the much needed feeding and OT to help him to overcome so many of the challenges he faces daily Smile
Pages: 1 2