SPD Support Forum

Full Version: New here and also a host!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone!

I've stumbled upon this site and it's yahoo groups within the last few days and decided to join in. I'm 22 with SPD - mostly auditory defensiveness. I'm an OT student in MD and I also work with an autistic child doing Verbal Behavior activities and helping with his sensory needs.

Here's just a little of my journey (following Dan's "how to intro" model - hey, it's late). I was born 3 months premature, have allergies, and ADD. I didn't notice it much growing up, but it got completely worse in my high school years. I thought I was going crazy until I was diagnosed at 17. I then tried Tomatis and Berard listening therapy, to no avail. The worse environment for me is the classroom. I have testing accommodations, and of course a slew of coping strategies that are just automatic adaptive behavior by now. I have a whole shelf of OT and SPD books, and try to learn as much about it as I can. I am not in need of any immediate help, just little tips of what works for other people. In the future, I want to do neurological research on adults with SPD!

I find that I am always optimistic and sometimes jokingly sarcastic about it all. It can get depressing at times, we gotta help each other and ourselves!

In my spare time, I love music, going to shows and concerts, knitting, exploring, and just going out with friends.

Meredith
Welcome!! I enjoyed reading your story. I'm impressed that you decided to go into the field and be in OT, sounds like you are on a great path.
Welcome Meredith! I want to be one of your research subjects.
Hi Meredith! Welcome!