SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Processing a Lifelong Issue at 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm so glad to have found this forum.

I was diagnosed with HFA (Asperger's) about two years ago. In addition to other issues, including ADHD and OCD, I've been trying to get a handle on everything. I was also diagnosed around the same time with "moderate-to-severe" memory loss issues, with a concern on early dementia or Alzheimer's onset, although most have "brushed off" that possibility (just as they did to Asperger's)

I had to admit to someone (other than myself) that I had processing issues, which appear (to me) to be getting worse as I get older. I can be over-sensitive (and very distracted) by sounds others hear, but if I want to concentrate on a conversation on TV (for instance) I have to pull out and work on my crossword puzzles in order to "concentrate" on the conversation from the TV.

I tend to stop someone at the beginning of an explanation -- they find it annoying -- but I believe it's the only way to help my brain follow their train of thought. For instance, if I ask someone how to open a drawer -- and they say, "Just pull the handle," I'll get confused over WHICH handle (sometimes, not even associating it with the issue we're discussing).

Last night, someone I was watching cook said, "Please take the can out of the sink, and get the water." I removed the can, and then had to figure out if I was supposed to empty water out of it, give the cook water from a bottle sitting next to the sink, turn ON the water, etc. It was ridiculous, and I couldn't explain why I was having problems with it.

Another time, someone walked in my path while I was carrying a hot beverage. I stopped, they stopped. Then they waited and asked why I wasn't continuing, and I just hadn't "gotten there" yet.

I've had these issues for as long as I can remember, but not to this extent. I'm having a hard time trying to explain to myself, as well as others who don't "get" why I react the way I do.

Thanks again for being here.