SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Preemies and SPD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm also on the Facebook support board for SPD. I know it has come up a few times about whether being a preemie predisposes someone to SPD. Or some believe that a traumatic birth experience will "cause" SPD.

I had a perfect pregnancy with my older son... until my water broke at 36 weeks. He weighed 5 lbs, 14 oz at birth and didn't have to spend any time in the NICU. He could breathe fine on his own. He developed jaundice but was otherwise healthy. He weighed 5 lbs, 8 oz when we left the hospital 2 days later.

So he was technically a preemie, but has been relatively healthy. No major illnesses or medical problems. He has had all his vaccines on time.

I still lean toward genetics since I see so much of myself and my mom in my son.

What do you all think? For those who have SPD but don't have kids, were you premature? Did your mom have any trouble with her pregnancy with you? Does anyone else in your family seem to have similar issues?
My child with SPD was born at 36 weeks and was in the NICU a short time. I think it is a factor for her however I don't think it's the only thing because she was actually a pretty content baby for the first few months of life.
I was born at 26 weeks and was in the NICU for 3 months afterwards. The lungs and central nervous system are the last to get their finishing touches done, so when I was born, I was given an antibiotic to prevent my lungs from having problems. However, one of it's side effects is "auditory toxicity". I personally think incubators, which are bright and probably amplify sound to some degree, aren't the best for a CNS that is premature. I think it depends on how premature one was, how long they spent in an incubator, and any other birth factors that came into play.

I was a very calm baby, in and out of the womb, and my personality today is generally very calm. In the end, I also have allergies and eustachian tube dysfunction (aka a tube in my ear).

My dad, who is extremely knowledgeable about acoustics and sound, and I poke fun at an idea that we should invent a new incubator together when I get older.