SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Saying hi & Some Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, good to meet you all.

Just stumbled across this place when googling SPD.

My story is as follows:

Im 30 and I’ve been working in an office with very low celings, lots of artificial light and no natural light for a couple of years now – I’m usually okay when I arrive at work and they gradually get worse throughout the day – and likely stay with me most of the evening.

Usual symptoms:

-Body starts shaking and movements become a bit more irratic.
-Feel uncoordinated/feel like its an effort to walk straight
-I Become clumsy
-Feeling withdrawn as my brain feels like it isn’t working properly, tend to just put my headphones on and ignore people. Makes me not want to do things after work too cause i feel so out of it
-Occasionally will Sneeze when lights turned on
-Words slur slightly/can't think of things to say to people in what are fairly straightforward conversations.
-My memory gets worse
-Harder to do physical tasks due (like boxing or playing football in goal which i do)
-Become irked by loud noises (ie. when in a boxing class when everyone is working in pairs and suddenly starts hitting pads), this only tends to happen when I’ve been at work – ie. not usually an issue if not already feeling bad.

I've seen all types of medical experts none of which mentioned SPD to me - however i was talking to a relative of a GF who deals with problem chilrden in schools and she immediately said "it's SPD 100" so she's referred me to an occupation therapist.

Can anyone here relate to the above and can advise?

Regards.
Maybe you can wear sunglasses?
hello there drpepper. also wanted to say hi and also: i'm sorry that nobody answered your questions pct. i can't answer them either but in fact, i am here to ask you if you did already found answers to your questions since? if you did, please update! thanks!
DrPeper hasn't returned since he posted, so I guess this is for your sake, Ementer.

I'm new here also and also new to SPD. But it doesn't take a genius to understand DrPepper's problem, as he suspected, was in the least related to artificial lighting. I'd have suggested he request a desk near a window, or in the least spend his lunch outdoors.

Light is a bio signal in a variety of ways. Searching the effects of artificial light will display a wealth of information. Light, its absence, and its spectrum trigger chemicals in our brains that can effect the workings of the mind. It is known that computer screens that have a blue hue can keep us from falling asleep properly and can for hours affect the quality of sleep we get. I know there are certain florescent lights that give me an instant headache. A lack of natural light can cause depression. DrPepper so long under those lights would most expectantly affect the chemistry of his brain. Light also controls some of how we each utilize vitamins. Sunlight gives us vitamin D, but even D supplements will not replace our need for sunlight. B vitamins have a relation to light, some utilize at night or in daytime. With improper light how we use our body's resources can change. B6 is instrumental in movement. Maybe DrPepper's football deficit was related to him getting older, or maybe his B6 was out of wack due to his lengthy absence from natural light. Too little or too much, B6 can change our motor abilities and reflexes.

In this day and age it has become difficult to avoid artificial light. The remedy would be to get as much natural light as is possible. It might be useful to limit smartphone, widescreen TV and computer monitor usage as well.

The standard disclaimer, I am not a professional at anything. These conclusions are my own based on reading and experience. The effects of artificial light is under study but I don't know how conclusive any have been. Though there is no harm in avoiding them when you can.