SPD Support Forum

Full Version: I need to reread the checklist for SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I'm forgetting all that SPD entails. Or only remember the things that applied to my older son.

I just reread a section of it and saw the lack of self-regulation regarding hunger section (starved, full, starved, full, etc). This is my 6 year old. I had forgotten about this and have been getting frustrated with his eating habits. I know he feels like red meat chokes him so I do my best to accommodate him with that. But i have been pushing him to be more patient or learning to wait when it comes to hunger and thirst. I forgot that was an element of SPD.

I mostly saw the seeker tendencies in him (and the picky eating), and didn't look beyond that. I am conscious of his seeker needs and try to give him the sensory diet for that, but I think I need to go back and look at the full list for him. I'm sure there are many other needs that I haven't realized aren't being met.

Maybe I do need to have him evaluated. I thought I could put it off since he's doing fine at school and doesn't have the social and anxiety issues my older son has. Thought I could just provide him with a sensory diet at home. Feeling like a bad mom. Sad
I know what you mean. I totally missed stuff with my second child because it was different too. Because she is not like my older daughter screaming and tantruming acting out demanding constant help and attention and literally bouncing off the walls, she is fairly low key and rather passive, but she very sweetly quietly has motor delays, dyspraxia and vestibular, proprioceptive dysfunction.
Gosh Angela, That sounds like my two sons. The only diagnosis either of them got was "gifted." I knew from the start my first one had weird problems. He got in trouble, he had meltdowns. He's 28 now and fairly well adjusted. My second one was just so sweet. But where Eric could climb anything, Drew tripped over his own feet. Even now, as adults, Drew, age 25, knocks over his glass every time we go out to eat. Eric was a problem. Drew was just over-the-top sensitive emotionally, he was my little Ghandi.

Everybody, do whatever it takes to get a thourough diagnosis for your kids, whatever it takes. It will help them so much. My sons missed out on a lot that could have helped them. As did my husband, as did I.
Thanks, Angela and Lane. I appreciate your responses. I'll get my younger son on the waiting list for a diagnosis.

Lane, I relate to your son Drew! I still bump my shoulder or hip going around corners in my house. And about a month ago, I broke our table lamp because my hand missed trying to turn the knob to turn the lamp off and I ended up tipping it over. I didn't catch it in time and it smashed on the floor. My boys broke the first lamp with playing ball in the house, but the matching second lamp was all me. Smile

I'm actually at my mom's place in another state. My grandfather passed away and the funeral is on Saturday.
Lynn, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather Sad
Thank you. He made it to 90 on July 18th, that was his goal. I was already going to MN to visit family but when he started to decline, I changed my flight to try to see him one more time. He passed away on July 27th and we arrived on the 28th. Sad I was very sad that I missed seeing him. He lived a full life and my grandparents would've been married 70 years on Feb 14, 2012. They were my role models for a long and happy marriage. I'll miss him.
Oh and hubby mentioned that we should get our younger one evaluated for dyslexia. I'm going to do SPD first and see if any OT helps. He's a lefty and I've heard that lefties can mix things up longer than righties. Plus he's going to be 7 in September so I think he's still in the normal range for saying numbers backward (93 instead of 39) or making some letters backward.