SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I have a 9 year old son with spd. The intensity of his issues come and go but he struggles with clothing sensitivity and can’t stand to have anything in his sight line or peripheral vision when watching tv. He loves to play with my hair and rub soft blankets and furs. He hates to take baths and change his clothes. He had a hard time sleeping in his own bed until about a year ago. Recently he has started having trouble with food. He doesn’t want to eat, even things he loved before. The smell of most food makes him nauseous. He has even thrown up after eating. I am wondering if anyone has had the same situation or if it is not related to spd. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
If I were you, I'd first try to pay attention to any anxiety that you might be feeling. He might be picking up on that and responding because he thinks the food is bad for him. When you give him food, try to do so in a non reactive state, so that he's not getting any social cues to reject the food. Also, have you switched your dish soap? Or maybe your perfume, or one of those smell things that makes a room smell a certain way? That could lead to him not liking foods, since like fish has a smell of it's own, however put flowers on top of that? You'd see how that would taste, by just picturing the two together. XD If that doesn't work, figure out what smells help him feel better. For me, ginger helps to ease my nausea, so maybe with the smell of certain spices you can doctor it up to make it taste ok? Then too like during a time when he's not eating get him to describe what smells make him sick separate from eating so that he doesn't make an even stronger aversion connection. I'd definitely though make sure his pediatrician knows about it so they can monitor him and maybe get him into therapy. That way too the doctors will know if he's lacking in any nutrients that are needed for his health and can make sure he's getting supplements so he doesn't become malnourished.

Welcome to the forums I hope you get useful help. <3
Thank you so much! I will try those suggestions!
I hope it helps if it doesn't, tell me why and how, so maybe I can help you more read into it. <3 All of us are different so it's finding that balance. Since I'm not on the autism spectrum, I feel like maybe I can help give a voice to those who don't know to use it. If anything of what I say works use it, if it doesn't please tell me so I can think on how to make it work, or if anyone here has better advice? Please say something? Sorry it took me a bit to reply, I had to do some thinking on what to do and to be responsible. Usually I reply faster but since he is a kid I had to make sure to give it my best. I don't want him to be harmed so that was my main focus.