SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello Everyone!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all! My name is Johanna. I currently have. 2 year old who was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder at 11 months old. It has been a big roller coaster ride to say the least. With they help of a therapist provided weekly, we have definitely made some progress and helped me to understand spd more. I stumbled upon this site during my research and readings and I’m hoping some of you may have some insight on a particular situation my little one is going through. As I’ve mentioned before, he is 2 and still on formula. He has a milk protein allergy we discovered when he was just weeks old and cannot have soy either. Since we’ve found out, he has been on similac allimentom and it is not only very pricey but now that he’s bigger, he still eats stage two Gerber food. He has problems but still tries to eat regular foods with not much success. With the help of a pediatrician and a pediatric GI doctor they were able to rule out gerd/ acid reflux but between all of us and his therapists we cannot seem to get him off the formula and into almond milk/ sweet/ unsweetened, rice milk, or coconut milk sweet/unsweet. I was wondering if anyone has been through this situation? It’s hard to find anything close to it in regular switching forums because most discuss weaning to milk. We’ve tried chocolate almond and tried doing just an ounce into his bottle mixed with formula and he can tell right away and refuses to drink it. He won’t take it from a sippy and he will drink a couple drinks of water from a water bottle or cup and occasionally will try some of my ice tea in a cup but will not take it in a bottle. With the drs and therapists saying with his spd, too many changes would be too much so continue on the bottle but try to get him switched to a milk substitute has proven to be very difficult and he’s very adamant about refusing it. If anyone has been through this or has any advice and suggestions, I’d be forever grateful to hear them! I’m sorry this was such a long introduction!
Honestly, formula is a lot better for a developing baby than other forms of non milk, milk, use that when you must and make food a game of choice while not showing him what you like like and don't like. Everyone likes something, so find that something. While you eat too, maybe give him some of that? That way you're showing him this is what we eat. Be aware though, you don't want him to start loosing too much weight. So tell your doctor what you're doing but also feed him any liquid diet he can keep down. With things like soy milk and almond milk, that's made as milk substitute for adults, not a breast milk substitute for children. You can drink soy milk no issues because you eat and drink other things. Make sure that's not the only thing feeding your kid ok? It's not made to be a formula substitute.