SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Homework and Routines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son just started 5th grade. New school for him, middle school now. He has been doing so well the last week or so. All smiles when he gets off the bus. Finding his way around the school. No major problems.

Well this week starts the homework. Sigh. In the past, he has never had much homework and most of it was weekly homework rather than daily. Very doable. I usually gave the boys time to play after school, then I'd make dinner. After dinner was done and cleaned up, they'd do their homework.

But now there's more homework and it's daily and weekly. Some is due the next day, some is due by Friday. On Tuesdays, my younger son has soccer practice from 5:30-7pm. My husband doesn't usually get home until 6:30pm so I bring my older son with me.

I knew that he had homework due today and we'd be gone at soccer for a while, so I had him sit down after school to get started on it. He resisted all of my attempts to get him to sit and do his homework. Ugh. The tears and the meltdown! "But, Mom, but Mom..." He was getting upset, I was getting frustrated. By the time we had to leave for soccer, I was all frazzled. Luckily, he agreed to bring his book along to soccer to read while his brother practiced. At least he got some reading done. (Side note: definitely need to bring bug spray next week--getting bitten by mosquitos!)

By the time we got home, things were better, everyone was calm. We had a late dinner, cleaned up... then he sat down to do his homework without a fuss. He needed very little help and there were no tears at all.

What a difference! Doing something that isn't part of our routine=tears vs doing our routine=no tears. I really hope next week goes better!
Hi Lynn... have you found a new routine?

Homework is like pulling teeth in this house. My son is graduating into secondary school in the new year and I'm just dreading it.

BusyMum