SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Almost 2yr old feel as if I am losing it at times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi my name is Jen I am mother to a almost 2 year old... she hasn't yet to be diagnosed but she has a OT through VNA and she definitely thinks my daughter is hypersensitive I believe but every time I bring it up to her pediatrician she says nothing I am at my wits end everything makes her fuss anymore which isn't normal she's a happy baby before I had heard of what her OT was talking about I knew she has some sensory issues her father also does he has to feel fabrics before buying also rubs blankets or shirts whatever is nearby between his fingers to fall asleep but my daughter because she's so little it's a different story we have the soft fuzzy blankets she loves I was able to take her off of bottles she now is transitioning between sippy and a regular cup but now we have the fun of trying to do away with her bink a bink and I'm at a loss my older 2 were boys and so much easier in every aspect my daughter 1. Does not talk as of yet idk if it's pure stubbornness or what 2. Is darned stubborn and if does not go her way she throws massive fits inconsolable we thought maybe she was just spoiled but it's been a year of not giving in and trying to teach her but the fits are even worse now 3. She has trouble connecting with anyone took her OT 8 months of coming 2x a week to get her used to her, she still doesn't like most males in me or her father's families not even her fathers best friend she's socially lacking but I cant even try any daycares or anything bc of her separation anxiety from me even if her father is there with her she flips out and goes into one of her fits.... sorry this is so long I'm just literally at a loss of where to go or what to do for help most days it's like walking on eggshells around her I hate seeing her so upset but I also know I cant be on hand at all times forever and that her bink a bink which is her safety has got to go I know its going to be a process but how do I even begin
If she's not verbal that makes things difficult, she can't really tell you why she's upset if she doesn't have the words to tell you. Do you read to her every night? Both seeing the words on paper and hearing you say them will help her to know what those words mean and might make her more confident to use them herself. Also, make it more fun, like a game. Ask her questions that require more of an answer to them, like let her color, but when she wants a color she has to say that color for you to give it to her. Make that funny though, like if she wants a regular skin tone for human skin but doesn't say what she wants, give her green or purple, to see if that pulls her out of shell and gets her to laugh. Always try things that are more fun and silly, that way she won't feel overly pressured and have a meltdown. I hope this might help, if not tell me what happened and I can think about what to do more ok?