SPD Support Forum

Full Version: new
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am 56 years-old and recently learned I have SPD. I have had it my entire life and had no idea what it was. I was always a "picky eater" and "shy" or "reserved." At first it was very validating and I wanted to tell people who judged me that there was a reason for the way I am. Then I went through a stage where I was noticing all the little things and how they fit together, things that previously I could ignore or tell myself was nothing. It was kind of frustrating. Now I feel isolated, because no one understands this. I even told a friend who I realized also has it, and she doesn't get it either. I came to understand I have it because I am a psychotherapist, and one of the kids I work with has SPD so I was trying to get him help without knowing what it was. Now my eyes are open and I realize a bunch of the kids and adults I work with have SPD. Just how to get them help is a challenge. I want to find ways to really help them, but the system is limiting. Thanks for being here. (I've never been on a forum before.)
Welcome, and yeah learning what have makes everything in retrospect make sense. The best thing that I have found to do is when you remember times where your SPD was acting up and you did something out of character just to stop feeling overwhelmed, to work on getting that wasn't your fault. So you have to re-edit a few things it will help provide context to your history, along with thoughts that are more kind to yourself.